I’ve been down in Antigua since Sunday afternoon and last night I got a little homesick so I decided to throw together a version of my spaghetti with homemade sauce. I stopped by the local grocery store and grabbed everything I needed, and a bottle of wine and I was ready to go.
1 package lean ground beef
1 red pepper, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 can Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes
1 can Hunt’s Tomato Paste
1 can mushroom pieces and stems
1 package spaghetti seasoning
1/3 cup Merlot
1/3 cup water
1 package Spaghetti
White Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Brown ground beef in a skillet. When meat is almost cooked through, drain fat. Add red pepper and onion and continue to cook a little while longer.
- In a pot, combine Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes, Hunt’s Tomato Paste, Mushrooms,and Spaghetti seasoning and place on a medium heat.
- Drain fat again if needed and add beef mixture to the pot.
- Add in Merlot, and water if the sauce looks too think and cook on medium heat until it starts to boil softly. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes to 1 hour on lowest heat.
- Once sauce is ready, prepare spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain, add sauce and cover with cheese to serve.
This is similar to my recipe, but I found it to be more flavourful and robust. You can omit the cheese and it is still a delicious dish and very easy to make. I didn’t add garlic to this recipe mostly because I didn’t have any on hand, but I am glad that I didn’t as it brought out a different flavour that I really enjoyed.
Disclosure: I am working with Hunt’s on a feature and decided to create this recipe while in Antigua. I received compensation and product to review, but it is in Canada. I purchased the Hunt’s used for this recipe while down here. Any opinions are mine alone.
Sheri publishes, and writes at This Bird’s Day where she shares all of the thoughts in her head without the voices. Sticking mainly with content for Canadians, Sheri shares family stories, product information and anything that fits into her (and her family’s) daily activities.