This was a favorite Friday meal for one of my closest friends and I back when we were single and living in Winnipeg in our own houses. I would head over on Friday nights after work and we would make a big batch of this baby.
After we devoured this salad, we would sit down with a glass of wine and watch Sex and the City, followed by Oz.
Two single girls.
This could be part of why neither of us were married until we were in our thirties.
But wow, that salad was good!
Over a decade has passed and I don’t remember all of the ingredients, but this is my recreation of the recipe and I still eat way too much of it when I make it.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 tbsps liquid honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- pinch thyme
- 3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 2 Romain lettuce heads chopped
- 2 pears, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cubed or crumbled
- If your walnuts are not yet toasted, toast in oven (convention oven) for about 2 1/2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Mix canola oil, liquid honey, lemon juice, mild curry powder, mustard powder and thyme together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine Romaine, pears, walnuts and feta.
- Mix the dressing once more to make sure it is combined well, then add to the salad and coat completely.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can easily substitute 2 apples for the pears and the recipe tastes just as good.
Sheri publishes, and writes at This Bird’s Day where she shares all of the thoughts in her head without the voices. Sticking mainly with content for Canadians, Sheri shares family stories, product information and anything that fits into her (and her family’s) daily activities.